Monday, April 18, 2011

It Was One Of Those Weeks...Part 1

It was one of those weeks in the studio...where everything that could go wrong...did! I'm not sure why...but everytime I made something...there was some kind of problem. It all started when I made some plates.


They were similiar to this one...but without any decorative design. No stamps, no pattern...just plain!



I've had this idea for some tableware...for quite some time now, and thought I'd start making it!




At first everything was fine. The plates came out great...just the way I wanted them to. But then it happened! It was a freak accident really. I was moving one of them...my hand slipped off the bat, and my thumb nail took a good size chunk out of the rim. After it happened, I stared at it for a second or two...a little pissed off that I ruined my largest...best looking plate! I won't repeat what I said...well, I don't really remember what I said...but I did say something, and it must have been loud because my son came into the workshop to see what happened. He took one look at my plate and said "You can fix that Mom!" and then walked out of the room. As I watched him leave, I started to think of ways to fix it! There was no way I could fix the rim by putting it back on the wheel...so, I had to come up with something else. I certainly wasn't about to throw it away! I stared at the plate again, and then walked over to my bag of clay...grabbed a piece, and started to roll it out with my handy little roller!



 And this is what I came up with! I covered the rim with a leaf. After I cut the leaf out...from my tiny slab that I had rolled out, I brushed on some slip and placed it on the rim, where the chunk was missing! It worked great...no one will ever know that there was a chunk missing!
And I really like it!




So, problem solved...Yay! And I have a new design! I think I'll tweak this...maybe add more than one!
 What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment